Our Tenants' Views: Plan Vivo on Global Climate Strike Week
Why is the Climate Strike and/or action on climate change important to your organization?
Plan Vivo is a world-leading certification Standard on the Voluntary Carbon Market. We focus on supporting community-driven climate action and sustainable development projects. Our approach ensures that projects improve livelihoods, provide equitable benefit sharing and contribute to sustainable land use. Today, more than 100,000 people, including smallholder farmers and rural communities, are involved in managing their land sustainably under the Plan Vivo framework.
How is your organisation tackling climate change?
With 21 certified, operational projects, the Plan Vivo Standard is now being utilized in over 30 countries in Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa and Central Asia and Asia Pacific. So far, more than US$ 21 million have been channelled to local community groups, and activities implemented are set to deliver reductions of over 3.5 million tonnes of CO2 emissions.
What changes are you making or have you made?
- Activities by projects so far this year will remove 360,000 tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. This is equivalent to taking over 78,000 cars off UK roads in 2019.
- By the end of the year, we hope to have certified 4 new projects:
- Mangrove conservation in Madagascar
- Tree planting in Timor Leste
- Assisted natural regeneration in Indonesia
- Tropical forest conservation in Vietnam
- In October, we will be holding a stakeholder meeting, bringing together a range of actors in the environmental sector, from FFI to the UN’s FAO, to discuss the voluntary carbon market after the Paris Agreement.
- At the end of the year, we will estimate our emissions from organisational travel and will offset them through Plan Vivo projects.